Re: Fwd: Re: GPC licensing

Jonas Diemer a écrit :

Hi all,

find attached my correspondance with Toby Howard, licensing manager of the GPC
library.

Executive Summary:

- GPC will not be released under a GPL or compatible license.

- If we keep GPC in KiCad, we have to note in the software (not just in the
source code) that a separate license applies for part of KiCad.

- KiCad users must obtain a commercial license of GPC if they choose to use
KiCad with included GPC for commercial purposes, e.g. create a commercial
PCB.

Hence, keeping GPC would imply _serious_ licensing problems, far beyond just
being marked as "non-free".

I say we drop GPC as soon as possible or create a free and a non-free branch
of KiCad.

Jonas, thank you for getting clarification on this.

GPC license is not acceptable for kicad.
I start searching to replace the GPC library, before releasing a new pcbnew version.
(perhaps polygon1.c (gpl) used in gpcb)

geda pcb has some features we need:

1) zones in the ratsnest
2) detection of when a track cuts through a zone and orphans a piece of it without zone continuity.

This latter item may be more dependent on the implementation library. So with the anticipation that we might eventually copy some GPL copyrighted code from PCB in order to implement 1), 2), or both, this library is worth looking at most seriously.

(I think this whole episode can be a lesson in the danger of not recognizing who copyright holders are, and what their wishes as owners are.)

Dick