Re: Fwd: Re: GPC licensing

Am Donnerstag 08 Mai 2008 15:04:46 schrieb Dick Hollenbeck:
> This latter item may be more dependent on the implementation library.
> So with the anticipation that we might eventually copy some GPL
> copyrighted code from PCB in order to implement 1), 2), or both, this
> library is worth looking at most seriously.

Yep, good idea, geda code could be useful. Inkscape (GPL vector drawing
program) also does boolean ops on polygons without using an extra library. So
their code may be interesting as well.

> (I think this whole episode can be a lesson in the danger of not
> recognizing who copyright holders are, and what their wishes as owners
> are.)

Yep. An issue I already encountered on my short "excursion" to XaraLX, an
_almost_ GPL Linux-port of a professional vector drawing tool. Basically, the
port died due to lack of development community because it was not fully
open-sourced.

So again, I am very happy that this won't happen to KiCad.

- Jonas