Re: Append board in pcbnew

Moses,

I went to work on this problem today and realized that I did not have a good description of how the feature is supposed to work.

Sorry you missed this opportunity.

When I went to append a second board, it loaded the 2nd board on top of the first board, creating a visual mess.

These questions are not clear:

1) if both boards have perimeters, which board's perimeter is retained?

2) if both boards are located in the same position before the merge, how is one supposed to arrange them into separate areas of the merged-board since it seems impossible to select only a single board if they are overlapped?

3) Should not a pre-load coordinate offset be adhered to so that the 2nd board can be loaded directly to a new position?

4) what about duplicate component names, duplicate net names? How is one supposed to search for these components after the merge if there is possibly more than one of them?

5) what is to be done if there are a different number of layers in the two boards, abort the merge?

6) should it still be possible to reload the netlist of either board after the merge?

The entire concept seems flawed to me, and since I have no use for it, my enthusiasm for it is about gone.

Sorry, I tried to help but my original email was not responded to in sufficient detail. Perhaps someone who has a use for this feature can do the work.

Dick