Re: Tagging kicad-2008-07-15

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
svn co https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/tags/kicad-2008-07-15
svn co https://kicad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/kicad/tags/kicad-doc-2008-07-15

So I'd like to repeat my original question, see above.

Assuming he's using RPM, I suspect the problem is that RPM insists on taking its source code from a tarball. A source RPM actually includes the tarball and a bunch of patch files. RPM untars the source, applies the patches, then builds it. About 80% of the time it works fine (and keeps the source code clean). This is one of the 20% of cases where it's a complete pain in the neck :)

Dpkg (Debian package manager) actually builds the source package from the files that are present when it kicks off the build. You can provide a tarball and build a patch from it, but the .src.deb will always have a complete copy of the source code inside it. If you really wanted to check out the code from SVN, CVS, Hg, Git or whatever, you can just tweak the 'debian/rules' file (which is really just a specially formatted Makefile) to do just that.

The other problem is that most distributions won't accept packages for inclusion in the main repositories if they have to check code out of CVS or SVN. Tags can be moved, repositories changed around. Tarballs of source code, once created, generally aren't modified, and can be easily stored and integrity-checked (md5sum, sha1sum, or if you're feeling masochistic, csum).

Just throwing my two pence into the jar...

--
Phil.
ygroups@...