Re: Custom Power symbols library name

Karl Schmidt a écrit :

In (kicad-0.0.20080825 c) I have confirmed that "place the power port" HAS to use power symbols from
power.lib - the same lib under a different name will not work.

Obviously yes, because this is a shortcut to this library

You can select the power device by entering its name followed by 'Enter', but it will never let you
place it with a left click.

This works well for me !

There is a place in 'onleftclick. cpp' that is hardcoded for 'power'.

It has always been my practice to use my own libraries so that when an upgrade comes along, nothing
gets overwritten.

I can select the same power symbol with the "select the component" icon and search and place it -
perhaps eeschema should not let this happen?

What is the problem ?
A power symbol is a component, like an other one.

If this is the intended operation, I'm guessing that the reason has to do with ERC? - (a hinted on
the user list under "Netlist Generation and Custom Power symbols".)

I do not understand what you mean.

I am creating some documentation and will write this up as is - I think the best way to fix this is to create a users lib directory and have a link to the distributed lib directory that should be
read_only.

What do you handle the libraries priority ?
Read only libraries option is obvious under Linux and others unices. This is not a kicad problem.

Is there anything special about device.lib?

Nothing special.

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS
Maître de conférences

Recherche :
Grenoble Image Parole Signal Automatique (GIPSA - INPG)
46, Avenue Félix Viallet
38031 Grenoble Cedex