Re: Devel list at SF

Vesa Solonen wrote:
It seems that threading got messed last time. I beg your pardon for that.

I'd like to ask your opinions about the possible change to SF.net mailing list. The reasoning follows. First of all Yahoo does hide attached patches from freeview and that is really bad, because unregistered can not access them which means less discussion and less participants to the development.

Archives. They are way better usable on SF than Yahoo. Naturally that's not of merit to seasoned developers, but very valuable for woud be developers who need to study old stuff throughly.

UI. That is somewhat imho, but the fact is there is more screen estate for the subject and way less advertising on SF than Yahoo. Browsing messages is also faster and one may choose page layout freely on SF.

Bloat. Yahoo adds too much marketing crap to the messages. Yes, SF puts a notice along too, but it is subtle and shows good taste.

For example I suggest visiting gEDA achives, which are really fine.
http://archives.seul.org/geda/dev/Dec-2008/msg00012.html

Interesting discussion. Lets continue it. Your example does not point to a sourceforge mailing list, so it weakens what might have been a good point, or at least it does not strengthen it.

Someone suggested using Tracker, which dove tails revision control with mailing list type postings. I think tracker complements subversion.

I have never used it, but I wonder if we should look into that and see if we can find a site to host it. I may be able to offer solution on hosting, but I want to take the path of least resistance if we can.

My point being, if we are going to invest effort in a change, we should find the best solution for our efforts rather than revisiting the decision down the road.

Dick