Re: Devel list at SF

Jonas Diemer wrote:
Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2008 18:33:54 schrieb Dick Hollenbeck:

I have never used it, but I wonder if we should look into that and see
if we can find a site to host it.

SF could be used to host it (we currently host wikimedia in the KiCAD project though, nunno if/how both can run in parallel).

The initial concern is to enhance support for the developers. Users are a different topic, and I think they should have that discussion on their own. Wikipedia in my mind is for users.

I see that Unbutu has Trac as a package. Somebody could install it in a few minutes on a dry run basis on their desktop and test it out.

I have no idea about it. Internally here we use Mantis, but this is a bug tracker only. I think as a minimum objective of any change, we need the following: *a decent patch manager*. Does sourceforge provide this?

I am not particularly fond of having any one who comes along get write access to the repository. That is a recipe for chaos. The projects that have scaled well have patch submissions, and they are screened before they are committed, often being rejected the first time or two before they are up to snuff.

So while being able to add attachments to an email posting is a step in the right direction, we can and should do more. A patch should have a URL so it can be linked to from future messages, commented on, etc.

Dick