Re: Re: New coding guidelines.

wafeliron wrote:
I agree with you both,
Coding style is different taste for everyone. But i think there should
be some clear guidelines about the style is used by KiCad Project. Or
else it would be mixed with different styles and ideas. I we need some
guidelines to make the sourcecode more clear and easier to understand.
Because now there are some things mixed up. For example its hard to
find the hardcoded paths in the source and this is a real LACK if i
install on linux and dont want to but it in the root directory. I
would like to work on it but its not well commented and structured
into files about reading the .KiCad .pcbnew files ...

Greets,
Jerry

Coding style is one subject. Having a source code map is another.

Kicad is a deceptively large project with a lot of lines of code. Even with a good source code map, if such a thing were to exist, it still is not easy to comprehend the entire project in a short time.

Your best tool is a good text editor that can do mult-file grep like searches. Jedit is what I use and I have few complaints about it. Also there is the DOXYGEN output for class hierarchies etc.

For example, if I use Jedit to search for "/usr/local/" across all files in the project, I get:

common/gestfich.cpp

Dick