Re: My thoughts on what would make Kicad the ideal program.

--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Lorenzo" <lomarcan@...> wrote:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "dioiioib" <dioiioib@> wrote:
>
> > I personally find it irritating and annoying that if the part is on theunderside of the board and I am connecting traces I have to remember the pin out is reversed. Why is this even something people tolerate?
>
> There is worse in this industry :P like, for example, that USUALLY discretes are pinned seen from the bottom, while ICs are pinned from the top... relays? who knows, someone draws them from the top, someone from the bottom :D:D
>
> A good compromise would be a key to flip the view when you want (maybe F5? following the functions-key-commands-view paradigm in kicad)... I and most people wouldn't ever use it :D I think that would be an 'innovative' feature in the field :P:P
>
> As the flipped pinout, once you verified the library package you have to trust the netlist, otherwise work would never be done. Hell, there are ratnests, pad number AND pad net drawn on the pin!

I understand your point, however, on a number of occasions I have had kicaddisassociate my netlist file with my board file and the netlists become unbound the the pins. At which point I can decide to shut off DRC and continue routing manually or I can start over. I usually just continue. I do understand that a majority of users would not use this feature, however, seeing as it has never been offered and as you say it is innovative why not give it a shot. I am quite sure there are many other great features we could think of that are not implemented in any EDA/CAD software.

I know someone has mentioned this feature in a previous post but adding a feature that would allow me to reconnect the ratsnest, would also be of benefit, which shouldn't be hard since everything is annotated an easy to crossreference. Or even manual connection would be appreciated.

Lorenzo I do appreciate the critical debate on this though. Its nice to getan alternate view on things and identify the strengths and weakness' of a potential feature.