Re: Feedback and wishlist

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009, Werner Almesberger wrote:

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> I question whether we could ever muster enough resources to come even
> close to what freerouter offers NOW.

How about integrating Freerouter into the KiCad codebase then ?

It's at most up to Alfons to decide. See:

http://www.freerouting.net/fen/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7&start=0

I sent him email somewhere last year, but never got any answer. Naturally Java to C++ conversion would be quite a task too if we don't want to depend on Java also, I guess.

The whole "streaming java" setup seems rather awkward. I spent
about a day unsuccessfully trying to get it to work. I suppose
others may have had similar experiences.

Yeah. I had to hack a bit too to make local jar running from web cache... Anyway it is a fine piece of software and I must applaud Alfons for making it available. I wouldn't want to see it getting "lost" for whatever reasons and that's why opening would make sense sometime.

Then there is gEDA toporouter project, it has some quite nice ideas and some even fly already. There has been some more patches this year on the list.

http://www.wand.net.nz/~amb33/toporouter

Last, but not least ideas from Kicadocaml should be considered too.

http://code.google.com/p/kicadocaml

-Vesa