Re: Libraries - files and components naming policy

I believe we should start to create some paper based on this discussion (naming policy is almost set, drawing guidelines also) it would be great to have it in pdf format with some images!

For me the idea of introducing a new file type is wrong because:

- common graphic symbol is good for small devices, not at all for ICs( mostlibraries are ICs or connectors libraries)

- another level of abstraction would make KiCAD harder to use (think about how many files the user will have to take care about)

- in matter of time, it is faster to copy and rename existing module pads than to create new Library Component (for 3-6 pad devices).

This is why I also don't support dynamic libraries. Scripts are great, but why not to build a great lib,mod generator and allow users to use it!

I was also thinking of dynamic styles and to tell the truth I don't know why it is so important for you. I agree that scaling a component on the sheetwould be great, but is the custom image of components really so important?

I believe it would be easier to use the existing line width parameter (now almost always set to zero) and allowing user to define the scaling parameters for device, and custom scaling parameter for each line width (let say 0.01 -> line type 1, 0.02 -> line type 2).

I think we should focus on most important things first otherwise we will have great ideas without implementation withing next two years. For me the most important thing now is the mess in KiCAD core libraries.