Re: pcbnew very slow under some X11 machines

Hi,

Am Montag, 12. Oktober 2009 21:09:41 schrieb Vesa Solonen:
> My educated guess is broken intel drivers in 9.04... So I suggest
> installing Xorg-edgers PPA or Karmic. I'm on the edge driving q965 and
> BFS kernel. Radeon 2D was also quite bad in 9.04, but on the edge
> excellent. One can hope next half and year will bring some performance
> stability as new driver stack gets in shape.

I have upgraded drivers installed (from x-swat), they don't fix the issue. The
latest drivers require a kernel upgrade too for which I currently don't have
time - I'll wait for Karmic at the end of the month.

However, I did get my hands on the PC that suffers the same/similar performance
problems. Find attached the lspci output. Here I also tried to disable
compositing, with little to no effect.

I also tried the open source nv driver ("nv" instead of "nvidia") and this
indeed fixed it - pcbnew is reasonably fast again.

However, I do think that this problem needs to be addressed by either KiCad or
wxWidgets, because disabling Compositing won't really be an option in the
future for many people. Plus the problem can't be fixed e.g. on my Intel-based
system. Plus almost none of the other applications I use suffer from these
problems...

Regards
Jonas
 --Boundary-00=_2BN1KGnt6Vvfp+y Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="UTF-8";
name="lspci-pc"

[Attachment content not displayed.] --Boundary-00=_2BN1KGnt6Vvfp+y--