Re: Re: Bug 2870835 Patch - Inconsistent Label

2009/10/29 Patrick <pmaupin@...>:

> --- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Brian Sidebotham <brian.sidebotham@...> wrote:
>>
>> 2009/10/29 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>:
>> >
>> > Have you approached the issue from the perspective of:
>> >
>> > a schematic conversion is done at time of first load, and the converted
>> > schematic uses an altogether new representation, such as a word vs. what
>> > was formerly a number or single character?
>> >
>> > The schematic loader then has to be able to recognize either of these
>> > representations for awhile.
>> >
>> > And when saving you use the new represenation. �This does not break old
>> > schematics, which everyone probably agrees we should never do.
>> >
>> > I have not spent any time on this, but it is a general idea that might
>> > be helpful. �As these file formats evolve, we are trying to get them to
>> > be more self documenting anyway.
>> >
>> > Dick
>>
>> No I hadn't at all! Thanks for your help Dick, I will go and investigatethat.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian.
>>

> While you're looking at this, I noticed that on at least one of the labelkinds (forget which one), the left/right was inconsistent from the up/down.  A fix for that would be nice.
>
> Also, while you're coding in this area, I personally don't like 3 different buttons for 3 different kinds of labels.  Why can't I just say I want to place a label, and then the dialog box lets me choose what kind?  I mean, if I need to change an on-sheet label to a hierarchical one, I ought tobe able to double-click, hit one radio button to change the type, another radio button to flip it over to the other side of the wire, and be done, right?
>
> Regards,
> Pat

Please find a patch attached to fix this bug. All labels are now
consistent Patrick.

I used the last field of the text property in the schematic file which
is currently ignored, so this is backwards compaible. It will add the
field to the end when a schematic has been converted.

If the patch/theory is okay, then I can update the file format docs to suit.

The patch does the following:

Makes all label horizontal justifications the same
Prevents a blank label being drawn when the dialog box is cancelled
Adds memory to the label orientation, to give normal labels the same
operation as global and heirechical labels.

If anything isn't suitable or should be done another way, please speak up.

Patrick, I agree that it would probably be nicer to select the label
type from within the dialog (it would also be nice to have a label
preview too!). At the moment though, I just want to do some bug fixes
from the bug tracker. There are plenty in there and most are actually
real problems that annoy the user.

Best Regards,

Brian.