Re: PCB Layer Stackup UI

jean-pierre.charras@... wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

I meant to say specctra syntax, not specctra format. There is no
specctra format that can fully describe a board. Briefly, there is the
DSN format and the SES format. The DSN describes the copper layers
only, no technical layers. No text. The SES format describes a subset
of the copper layers and has less information in it.

I did not understood that.
So, I do not see any problem to use the Specctra syntax.

One or more sample board files should be created then before any coding is done IMO, using a text editor and a brain.

I think this process is easiest to create the sample(s):

1) load a DSN file from the specctra_export into a text editor or have it as a hardcopy printout nearby for reference.

2) load an existing board file, one with multiple layers, components, tracks, vias, drawings, and multiple zones.

3) copy the board file to a new window, and convert it to the new syntax, but incorporate some new concepts. This is an object conversion, not so much a line by line conversion.

New concepts in the file:

** Special layer names. Any technical layers, plus front and back copper, should get fixed names rather than layer numbers

** Layer sets as discussed.

** unit_res see this in the specctra spec, it allows different regions in the file to to have different units. each unit_res has a limited scope of applicability.

** use concise element names, pay attention to frequency of use. no element should have a lot of unnamed parameters, but instead use nested elements to make the file self documenting.

** the first copper layer is number 0 but has a special name 'front', in addition to any name the user gives it.

Questions to be answered:

** which coordinates should coordinates be relative to the origin of their containing object, and which should be relative to the board? Perhaps all should be relative to their containing object.

** Do you introduce a (transform ...) element, so objects can be presented in a uniform un-transformed way on the front layer? Here the specctra spec will be helpful.

Jean-Pierre, do you want to do a board like this? Do you want me to do one? Or should we both do one and combine the concepts later?

Dick