Re: PCB Layer Stackup UI

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> ** the first copper layer is number 0 but has a special name 'front', in
>> addition to any name the user gives it.
>>
> Clarification: each copper layer has both a user given name, and a
> layer number, just as now. The reserved token 'front' and 'back' are
> simply "special layer numbers", not actually in the same name space as
> layer names.
>
> After declaring the layers up front in the file, throughout the board we
> will use layer numbers rather than layer names. However, rather than
> becoming too dependent on the layer count, which changes the numeric
> value of the back of the board, we will use 'back' in certain situations
> in place of the layer number for back. Likewise for front, it is a
> layer number, not a layer name per se.
>
> We saw an example of this a few postings ago:
>
> (layers front back) # a LAYERSET object which includes only the front
> and back copper layers.
>
> (layers front 1 back ) # I suppose this has to be legal also

Dick,

I'm assuming from the previous discussion about single layer boards that:

( layers front ) # Front layer only.
( layers back ) # Back layer only.

are also legal. But what about:

( layers front 1 2 ) # No back layer.
( layers 1 2 back ) # No front layer.

I don't know if this makes sense or even if any pcb manufacturers would
make boards with these types of layer stacks. Just curious.

Wayne