← Back to team overview

kicad-developers team mailing list archive

Re: Kicad libraries for pcbnew


--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Vesa Solonen <vsolonen@...> wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2009, viking632 wrote:
> > Yes, that's a bit of a pain - I've now begun writing down the interesting message numbers (those that
> > needs my attention :-)
> MARC does a wonderful job for browsing, but unfortunately devel seems to 
> be missning. For users go to:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/kicad-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
> > I've "uploaded" a new version of my progress with the pcbnew libs, there are a few additions since the
> > last version:
> > http://www.uni-c.dtu.dk/~univind/kicad/
> > 
> > I've also now included a README, which itemises my TODO list and lists a number of issues/questions
> > that needs to be resolved, and some choices that needs to be made (Opinions are welcome :-).
> > 
> > Øyvind.
> I thinbk you are doing a very good job here. Very good indeed. For 
> components with pins on an arc (TO3-8, tube sockets...) it would be usable 
> to define _oval_ pins rotated to radius. This allows easy size altering 
> and plenty of pad area for hand soldering. Non plated-through boards would 
> benefit the most. Trapezoidal oval would be even better.

Good idea, I've added that to my todo list :-)

> In the discret library resistor dissipation numbers are somewhat difficult 
> as they vary on make and model. Most old 1/4 W resistor sized metal-film 

I don't really like the naming either, so I'll try
to think up a better Resistor naming convention, maybe
using diameter and pin spacing, or something similar.

> types are 0.6 W rated... Oh, and if you are going to capacitor work, may I 
> suggest starting with WIMA packages as a guideline? ;)

Done, they're in oaa_discret.mod and oaa_discret-cap_box.brd :-)

> TO3-4 and 
> TO66 (TO213AA) came to mind too. The former has at least L200 encapsulated 
> in it, but TO66 seems tobe mostly gone for high-rel aerospace devices. 
> Anyone desingning these with Kicad... :)

I've added the TO66 and two versions of the TO3-4 - it
seems to exist with both 72 and 80 degrees pin "spacing".

Also, I've now finished the 3D pins on the
TO92 and the TO220-5R (alias PentawattV).

I've written a generalised Extrusion Surface routine,
that is extremely useful for this sort of thing, and
lots of other stuff, e.g. gullwing and J-lead pins.

It even has (limited) shape-changing capabilites, see e.g.
the pins on the DPAKs or the house on the 3/5/8/... mm LEDs.

> I've been too busy to push symbol library work forward on my part, so 
> apologies for that everyone. It's not forgotten though.
> -Vesa

I've uploaded a new version of the libs to

Since last upload, I've added:
* A few BGAs (but there are lots and lots more of those ...),
* The 18 PGAs, I've been able to find datasheets for,
* Some of the capacitors: radials and axials, boxed WIMA,
* Most of the SOTs, including the DPAK family,
* LEDs and 7seg displays.

Also, the part names for the 3D view are now embedded
into the bedrock (well, the part surface), instead of
floating above the component body :-)
This one was a little tricky to get right, and requires
~250 lines of code for the text generation (font rendering)
and embedding of the background into the part surface.

TODO: Embedded part names on DFNs and QFNs, Resistor arrays,
Bar and Alpha (dot matrix) displays, ceramic and tantalum
capacitors, more axial caps, multicolor LEDs (i.e. >2 pins),
SMD diodes and LEDs, relays, reed switches, valves,
and lots of others.

Right now, I'm at 595 parts and 4400 lines of perl code,
dimension tables and comments (or 7.4 lines per part :-)

A full remake of everything, i.e. generation of all 595 parts
from their class and dimensions, and rewrite of all module,
sample board, dimension table and 3D view files
requires only about 30secs of CPU time :-)