Re: dialog_design_rules_base

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Marco Serantoni wrote:

Dick,
I've to propose you this change to a dialog for our poor guys that owns few inch square of screen, infact it doesn't fit in smaller screens and the Ok Cancel button exceeds the resolution making it unusable.
I've cut some text and put someone else as a tooltip just to recover some vertical space.

--
Marco

Marco,

Thanks for asking about this. There are a couple of things I don't like about the fbp file you sent, (I did generate the code, and execute it):

1) the elements m_leftListCtrl and m_rightNetListCtrl have a "minimum size" set in wxFormbuilder. This is not needed. You may not have been responsible for this, don't know and don't care. There's no reason for it. It may even be that I set it so initially. It is wrong.

2) The m_grid member which is for the netclass editing, will not grow vertically as I stretch the dialog vertically. This seems to be a change from before that I do not like. I am not objecting to making the window smaller, I am objecting to the fact that it no longer grows vertically when the dialog is stretched. If you are ambitious, you can try and put in a movable separator and let the user decide how the space is divided (just above "Membership"). Otherwise we need to look at the "proportion" settings in wxformbuilder. But I consider this broken now, especially since the initial size is smaller than before.

3) m_staticTextInfo can be told to wrap beyond a certain number of pixels to a new line, see the "wrap" setting try 500. And it can be centered, I found that setting its flags wxSHAPED and wxALIGN_CENTER will do this.

Can you please take another look at this? If you still cannot get it to "fit" (still an undefined term) then try reducing the inter row spacing a little between radio buttions, etc. It is pretty roomy on my system. My system font it 12 points, and even at 900 pixels wide, this dialog will not fit within its borders.

I do think that as a last resort we may have to go to smaller font size on the *grids only*. Some are read only. Those grids actually look a little awkward to me, the fonts are unnaturally large.

Your largest return on investment is obviously the size dominating dialog, which appears to be global design rules, not net classes editor, within the tab.
Thanks for giving this another go, and thanks for your help!

You can set the window's size within wxformbuilder, but not its minsize. Then this size should be ignored when it is instantiated because your constructor in the derived class will ignore that size and use a default size, which should be the minimum required to fit everything. This throw away size setting makes editing easier within wxformbuilder. But for this to work, your constructor has pass wxPosDefault, and wxSizeDefault (spelling may be wrong) to the base class's constructor.

Dick

And if that still does not work, what do you think about splitting global_design_rules into Vias and Tracks, two separate tabs.

Dick