Re: Minimum Recommended Screen Resolution

Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
Werner Almesberger wrote:
Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

Let me call the "Minimum Recommended Screen Resolution" our MRSR.

I think there are two or three resolutions that matter for users:

1) the minimum resolution at which the program is still usable, no
matter how painful. E.g., below this resolution, GUI elements may
disappear, dialogs may exceed the screen size, and so on.

2) the resolution at and above which the program can be used for
regular work, even if it may be incovenient or may require more
experience (e.g., to learn hotkeys)

3) the resolution at and above which the program is really
convenient to use

I wonder if space permanently allocated to desktops also has to be
taken into account or if all of the major ones have a full screen
mode that gives the application the full physical resolution.

I think 1) should be as small as possible. It's not the resolution
people should work at, but they may find themselves in an exceptional
situation where their work environment is very constrained. It's nice
it your tools don't fail you even then.

I think it would be good if this resolution could be 640x480, which
seems to be the lowest common denominator for hardware that's likely
to run KiCad at all. I think requiring more than 800x600 as the bare
minimum would make KiCad a less flexible tool.

FACT:

Your 1) is determined the by the size of the existing dialogs. This is a fact, not an opinion.

Look at this:

kicad/pcbnew/dialog_design_rules_base.fbp

WISH:

Then come back with a plan on how to revise all the dialogs to meet your 640x480. My prediction is that there will be nobody willing to invest that time.

If that proves true, we come back to the fact that the size of existing dialogs determines your 1).

Dick

Qualified development time is not free. Qualified development time is time spent by a qualified developer. This person, if he/she is truly qualified, is valuable to somebody, therefore his/her time is valuable. If he/she were to work on Kicad during working hours, this is costing his/her employer money. If he/she is self employed and working on Kicad, then he/she is costing him/herself money by way of "loss of opportunity costs".

The cost of converting all the dialogs is far greater than the cost of buying a new computer. I estimate the cost for a qualified developer to go through every dialog in Kicad, reworking most including supporting C++ code, would be in excess of $100,000. Who wants to spend that? Which employer. Would it not be cheaper to buy software, or buy a computer?

Can somebody unqualified (not valuable) do the work? I suppose a university student who is transitioning from unqualified to qualified may be the only kind of person that can afford to do this.

These are economics, and the reality that will determine the likelihood of our wishes. Economics will rule reality, always has and always will.

At best we can put into place some recommendations for the development of future dialogs.

Dick