Re: Any objections to hotkeys being displayed in

Dingo_aus wrote:
Ok, so I want to cut my teeth on some development to start helping this project out.

I was thinking of adding the relevant hot-key to the tooltip for each button in eeschema. I intend to do this intelligently by looking up the hotkey value and insterting - so that changes to hotkey will flow through automatically.

Before I go off on a frolic of my own and do this, does anyone have any objections? ie UI design rules, size of tool tips etc?

Nigel,

Welcome to the project. Before you do any UI work, take a look at the Kicad source file Documentation/guidelines/UIPolicy.txt. Also see the Gnome UI Guidelines <http://library.gnome.org/devel/hig-book/stable/>. They are the general UI guidelines for the project. There is a section on toolbar tool tips but it doesn't say anything about adding (or not adding) short cut hints to the tool tip. However, I just checked a few Gnome apps (gedit, evince, ephiphany, etc..) and none of them have any short cut key information in any of the tool tips that I could find. Only the menu items appear to have the shortcut keys. Personally, I don't have a preference on this issue. Since it is not defined in the Gnome UI Guideliness, this may be one of issues where we add new entry to UIPolicy.txt. Please be aware that hot keys in Kicad are user configurable so hard coded tool tip hints will not work. They need to be added and run time and updated whenever the user changes them.

Wayne

Thanks,

Nigel

(aka Dingo_aus)