Re: Any objections to hotkeys being displayed in

--00032555781ac3a846047e8b722b Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

2010/2/1 Dick Hollenbeck <dick@...>

> Dingo_aus wrote:
> > Ok, so I want to cut my teeth on some development to start helping this
> > project out.
> >
> > I was thinking of adding the relevant hot-key to the tooltip for each
> > button in eeschema. I intend to do this intelligently by looking up the
> > hotkey value and insterting - so that changes to hotkey will flow
> > through automatically.
> >
> > Before I go off on a frolic of my own and do this, does anyone have any
> > objections? ie UI design rules, size of tool tips etc?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Nigel
> >
> > (aka Dingo_aus)
> > Australia
> >

> From a user experience perspective I think this would be positive.
>
> From a code design and structure, it could be awkward, uncomfortable,
> and potentially difficult to maintain.

KiCad does not have that. But it should be solved by ActionManager pattern,
where all action are stored in one place independently where they are used
and any connection between menu item, toolbar item, command and keyboard
shortcut (hot key is application independent to lanuch some general feature
of your system or extension) are passed by it or its elements (how to spell
it: storagee?). Then if you know some action has a keyboard shortcut and
tooltip text, it could be easily asked for to display on demand.

But I do not find such action manager fully implemented with all required
features, some partially implementations are in GTK+ and Qt, but from what
I've investigated for my other projects, they miss some important functions.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...

r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dick@...";>dick@...</a>&gt;</span><=
br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(20=
4, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20
&gt; Ok, so I want to cut my teeth on some development to start helping thi=
s <br>
&gt; project out.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; I was thinking of adding the relevant hot-key to the tooltip for each =
&gt; button in eeschema. I intend to do this intelligently by looking up th=
e <br>
&gt; hotkey value and insterting - so that changes to hotkey will flow <br>
&gt; through automatically.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Before I go off on a frolic of my own and do this, does anyone have an=
y <br>
&gt; objections? ie UI design rules, size of tool tips etc?<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Thanks,<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; Nigel<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt; (aka Dingo_aus)<br>
&gt; Australia<br>
&gt; <br>
>From a user experience perspective I think this would be positive.<br>
>From a code design and structure, it could be awkward, uncomfortable, <br>
and potentially difficult to maintain.<br>
not have that. But it should be solved by ActionManager pattern, where all=
action are stored in one place independently where they are used and any c=
onnection between menu item, toolbar item, command and keyboard shortcut (h=
ot key is application independent to lanuch some general feature of your sy=
stem or extension) are passed by it or its elements (how to spell it: stora=
gee?). Then if you know some action has a keyboard shortcut and tooltip tex=
t, it could be easily asked for to display on demand.<br>
ed features, some partially implementations are in GTK+ and Qt, but from wh=
at I&#39;ve investigated for my other projects, they miss some important fu=
nctions.<br>
www.manveru.pl">http://www.manveru.pl</a><br>
 --00032555781ac3a846047e8b722b--