Re: Any objections to hotkeys being displayed in

--0015174be6bce2b07b047e8f3fd6 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

2010/2/1 Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@...>

> [...]
>
> Take a look at wxKeyBinder at
> <http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/keybinder/>. It is written by
> one of the primary wxWidgets developers. The last time I tried to build
> it, the sample segfaulted on GTK. That was over a year ago so perhaps
> this has been fixed. It's design fits in with wxWidgets very well. It
> would require a complete redesign of the Kicad hot key implementation.
> It is a command event based design like wxAccelleratorEntry rather than
> a virtual base class method implementation of the kicad hot keys so I'm
> guessing that it would be quite a bit of work to fit this into Kicad.
> It would also add another dependency so that may be an issue. However,
> it is a fairly complete solution with a built in shortcut key editor,
> automatic updating of menu labels, supports multiple short cut profiles,
> etc. I thought it might make it into the next version of wxWidgets like
> wxProperties did. Maybe it will make it into wxWidgets 3.2.
>
> Wayne

I was reviewing wxKeyBinder and I was not impressed about. Behind impression
of usage simplicity some complex mechanisms are hidden. This cause more
sophisticated usage to be complex to achive, and it does not solve all
problems of contemporary GUI application. But this is private opinion
created by code review of examples and reading documentation. I didn't try
to use it.

There are some more complete frameworks, but only in Python.

--
Manveru
jabber: manveru@...

r">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:stambaughw@...";>stambaughw@...</a>=
&gt;</span><br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px =
solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20
Take a look at wxKeyBinder at<br>
&lt;<a href=3D"http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/keybinder/"; target=
=3D"_blank">http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/keybinder/</a>&gt;. I=
t is written by<br>
one of the primary wxWidgets developers. The last time I tried to build<br=

it, the sample segfaulted on GTK. That was over a year ago so perhaps<br>
this has been fixed. It&#39;s design fits in with wxWidgets very well. It=
would require a complete redesign of the Kicad hot key implementation.<br>
It is a command event based design like wxAccelleratorEntry rather than<br>
a virtual base class method implementation of the kicad hot keys so I&#39;m=
guessing that it would be quite a bit of work to fit this into Kicad.<br>
It would also add another dependency so that may be an issue. However,<br>
it is a fairly complete solution with a built in shortcut key editor,<br>
automatic updating of menu labels, supports multiple short cut profiles,<br=

etc. I thought it might make it into the next version of wxWidgets like<br=

wxProperties did. Maybe it will make it into wxWidgets 3.2.<br>
wxKeyBinder and I was not impressed about. Behind impression of usage simp=
licity some complex mechanisms are hidden. This cause more sophisticated us=
age to be complex to achive, and it does not solve all problems of <span cl=
ass=3D"res_phr_translation">contemporary GUI application. But this is priva=
te opinion created by code review of examples and reading documentation. I =
didn&#39;t try to use it.<br>
href=3D"http://www.manveru.pl";>http://www.manveru.pl</a><br>

 --0015174be6bce2b07b047e8f3fd6--