Re: Any objections to hotkeys being displayed in tooltips?

Manveru wrote:

> 2010/2/1 Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@...
> <mailto:stambaughw@...>>
>

> [...]
>
> Take a look at wxKeyBinder at
> <http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/keybinder/>. It is written by
> one of the primary wxWidgets developers. The last time I tried to build
> it, the sample segfaulted on GTK. That was over a year ago so perhaps
> this has been fixed. It's design fits in with wxWidgets very well. It
> would require a complete redesign of the Kicad hot key implementation.
> It is a command event based design like wxAccelleratorEntry rather than
> a virtual base class method implementation of the kicad hot keys so I'm
> guessing that it would be quite a bit of work to fit this into Kicad.
> It would also add another dependency so that may be an issue. However,
> it is a fairly complete solution with a built in shortcut key editor,
> automatic updating of menu labels, supports multiple short cut profiles,
> etc. I thought it might make it into the next version of wxWidgets like
> wxProperties did. Maybe it will make it into wxWidgets 3.2.
>
> Wayne
>

> I was reviewing wxKeyBinder and I was not impressed about. Behind
> impression of usage simplicity some complex mechanisms are hidden. This
> cause more sophisticated usage to be complex to achive, and it does not
> solve all problems of contemporary GUI application. But this is private
> opinion created by code review of examples and reading documentation. I
> didn't try to use it.

I suggested it as something to take look at. It may be usable as a base
to build upon rather than write everything from scratch. Then again, it
may not be. If nothing else, it is a reference implementation that can
be used to give someone an idea of how much work is involved.

> There are some more complete frameworks, but only in Python.

I'm a just a little too busy to rewrite Kicad in Python at the moment ;)

Wayne