Code Style (Re: Graphics Abstraction Layer)

Hi Dick,

> Style is important to Wayne and me, and I assume Jean-Pierre, and we
> will be releasing a coding style document *very* soon.

Style is very important to me too - we had during my studies and in our company enough discussion about this point. Currently we found the compromise, the typical JAVA-style.

My question is, because the KiCad style looks a bit unusual to me and it's not consistent. I'd like to know if there was a voting or if this was a personal preference. The code style should be clean, logic and commonly used in my opinion.

However, I have no big problem to adapt myself to the KiCad code style (like I've done for the patches).

> Notice that our classes are all uppercase, at least the new ones.

Perhaps you could elaborate on this topic - I see the problem that a class written all uppercase could be confused with a constant and you need an underscore which I don't like.
MY_CLASS, MY_CONSTANT

I like this:

MySpecialClass

MyType

myMemberFunction()

_privateVariable

MY_CONSTANT

However, I've learned Java at the university, this explains perhaps my choice.

http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/

QT seems to use this style too.

As code beautifier I'm used to Eclipse CDT's build in variant, but I'll have a look at uncrustify.

Thanks ..
Torsten
--
GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment für nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02