Re: Kicadocaml beta available / beta testers welcome!

--0016e6db2999c2c1cd0480e82444 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252

Marco:

If you manage to get kicadocaml compiling on OS X, I would be eternally
grateful. Have very little experience with these things, but at least it
seems possible...

-------

Torsten:

Thank you. I'd love to take credit but the prettiness is mostly due to the
efforts of Nvidia, and not me :-)

Regarding tracks and Z-sorting, it works very easily. All tracks that are
at the same Z-depth 'merge' rather than overlap and alpha-blend. So, just
render them with triangles and make the GPU worry about it. I've made a
quick comparison here http://m8ta.com/index.pl?pid=3D813

Currently it uses a priority queue to update the Z depth - the most recent
on top, etc. This makes picking easier (though there are still some issues,
notably with zone vertex handles, as i only recently added this).

Never heard about mean field annealing, actually. Shall read up about it -
thanks for the tip. Simulated annealing is quite crude, since the algorith=
has no idea of how tracks will be laid about the modules. Eventually,
eventually, I'll add this in.

best,
Tim

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 8:37 AM, "Torsten H=FCter" <torstenhtr@...> wrote=
:

> Hi Tim,
>
> Thanks, your editor looks pretty impressive. Especially with antialiasing
> enabled.
>

> > As the graphical interface is through OpenGL, you'll need a
> > hardware-accelerated video card to use it well. That said, it means
> > that beautiful full-screen anti-aliasing comes 'for free' - just
> > adjust the settings on your video card. It also allows proper
> > Z-sorting and alpha-blending, which makes interacting with a
> > complicated multi-layer board much easier. It also means that the
> > screen refreshes whenever the cursor moves, which permits interactive
> > net and module highlighting, and for you to see where a cursor snaps
> > to when starting/editing a track.
>
> How are you handling the Z-sorting? I'm currently writing an universal
> interface for drawing on a Cairo/OpenGL surface. The problem that I have =
are
> the line joints when the tracks are transparent. I had the idea to use th=
> stencil buffer or to handle the tracks as a polygon and use a tesselation
> algorithm - because it works already for you - perhaps you can point me i=
> the right direction.
>
> --
>
> I know simulated anealing, because I've once written an algorithm for
> finding graph automorphisms. I've tried there also mean field annealing -
> this is much faster - perhaps interesting for you as well.
>
> Thanks ..
> Torsten
> --
> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser
>=20=20

 --0016e6db2999c2c1cd0480e82444 Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252

Marco:<br><br>If you manage to get kicadocaml compiling on OS X, I would be=
eternally grateful.=A0 Have very little experience with these things, but =
you.=A0 I&#39;d love to take credit but the prettiness is mostly due to th=
e efforts of Nvidia, and not me :-)<br>

t are at the same Z-depth &#39;merge&#39; rather than overlap and alpha-ble=
nd.=A0 So, just render them with triangles and make the GPU worry about it.=
=A0 I&#39;ve made a quick comparison here <a href=3D"http://m8ta.com/index.=
pl?pid=3D813">http://m8ta.com/index.pl?pid=3D813</a><br>

ent on top, etc. This makes picking easier (though there are still some iss=
ues, notably with zone vertex handles, as i only recently added this). <br>

t it - thanks for the tip.=A0 Simulated annealing is quite crude, since the=
algorithm has no idea of how tracks will be laid about the modules.=A0 Eve=
ntually, eventually, I&#39;ll add this in. <br>

8:37 AM, &quot;Torsten H=FCter&quot; <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); =
margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

=20=20=20=20=20=20
=20=20=20=20=20=20
Thanks, your editor looks pretty impressive. Especially with antialiasing e=
&gt; As the graphical interface is through OpenGL, you&#39;ll need a<br>
&gt; hardware-accelerated video card to use it well. That said, it means<b=
r>
&gt; that beautiful full-screen anti-aliasing comes &#39;for free&#39; - ju=
st<br>
&gt; adjust the settings on your video card. It also allows proper<br>
&gt; Z-sorting and alpha-blending, which makes interacting with a<br>
&gt; complicated multi-layer board much easier. It also means that the<br>
&gt; screen refreshes whenever the cursor moves, which permits interactive<=
br>
&gt; net and module highlighting, and for you to see where a cursor snaps<b=
r>
&gt; to when starting/editing a track.<br>
How are you handling the Z-sorting? I&#39;m currently writing an universal =
interface for drawing on a Cairo/OpenGL surface. The problem that I have ar=
e the line joints when the tracks are transparent. I had the idea to use th=
e stencil buffer or to handle the tracks as a polygon and use a tesselation=
algorithm - because it works already for you - perhaps you can point me in=
the right direction.<br>

--<br>
I know simulated anealing, because I&#39;ve once written an algorithm for f=
inding graph automorphisms. I&#39;ve tried there also mean field annealing =
- this is much faster - perhaps interesting for you as well.<br>
Thanks ..<br>
Torsten<br>
-- <br>
Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -<br>
jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! <a href=3D"http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbro=
wser" target=3D"_blank">http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser</a><br>