Re: Re: Patch to support FreeRouting for PCBs without

Henry wrote:
--- In kicad-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Håvard Espeland <gus@...> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 09:55:19AM -0500, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
(...)

1) If there was a single boolean in the export UI (checkbox) to control the nature of the export in this regard, do you still need component specific control over whether this technique is used on specific components? i.e. would it be acceptable to treat all through hole components this way when the boolean is set?

It is not strictly necessary to have individual component control, but
it certainly is advantagous. DIL-chips and capacitors for instance are
easy to solder on both sides which saves a lot of vias. Pin arrays, on
the other hand, are not, and I think it also depends on how much effort
you are willing to put into soldering them.

2) Have you tested the idea of putting a keepout under the component, but not modifying the padstacks? How does freerouter respond this this?

Good question. I tested it now, and FreeRouting behaves correctly, thus it is not necessary to modify the padstacks to connect only on one side.
--
Håvard Espeland

I have used keepouts for this purpose before. Would it be possible to have board and/or module level keepouts defined in kicad?

Yes. Just like it is possible for you to buy me a car. If you get to drive it too, you will have more motivation.

Up to now I have used a "no net" zone for the board level keep out.

It would not make my to do list, without incentive.

The module level keepout would be pretty leading edge, and is an interesting concept long term. Kind of like having a BGA with all the fanout work pre-done as part of the footprint.

Dick