Re: Bug in annotating multiple part components?

--0016e659fc0c8da94304824f1b2f Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

On 21 March 2010 10:17, jean-pierre.charras@... <
jean-pierre.charras@...> wrote:

> Brian Sidebotham a =E9crit :
>

> I'm sure a while back this was fixed, but having just created a
> schematic page with multiple part components on it (two part switches)
> using the latest release (20100314), when I annotate the page the
> annotation changes the component units which breaks the schematic, so
> I'll have to go through it by hand and annotate it manually.
>
> I'm sure annotation should not affect the units of multiple unit
> components. If someone could confirm that this isn't intentional
> behaviour I'll look at fixing it.
>
> Eeschema does not re-annotate already annotated components, including uni=
> selection.
> If a component is not annotated, it is annotated, also including unit
> selection in packages to optimize the number of packages.
> This is not a bug, but the normal behavior (and I must say: the purpose) =
of
> an annotation.
> And many times, selection of the unit by hand is just wasting your time.
> Because in large hierarchical designs, it is *very* difficult to optimize
> unit selection to minimize the number of packages.
> Annotation does this selection better than you can make it, specially in
> large hierarchical designs.
>
> If you want to choose yourself the unit selection,
> 1- annotate first, and select unit after (needed only when you do not agr=
ee
> with automatic annotation selection).
> (IMO, selecting units in a package by hand before knowing if they are =
in
> the same package is a non sense).
> or
> 2- When creating a component, lock the parts (usually, this flag is set
> only for components that have non identical units, i.e. non swappable uni=
ts)
> So annotate will use the initial unit selection.

If units are swapped on an already annotated component ( and only in this
> case ), this is a bug
>
> --
> Jean-Pierre CHARRAS
>

> 2 is what I failed to do and is exactly what I need for these parts.
Thank-you for your thorough explanation Jean-Pierre, it is very much
appreciated. Sorry for the noise.

Best Regards,

Brian.
 --0016e659fc0c8da94304824f1b2f Content-Type: text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1

ierre.charras@...">jean-pierre.charras@...</a> =
r-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding-left: 1ex;">

=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

=20=20
=20=20

Brian Sidebotham a =E9crit=A0:
=20=20

schematic page with multiple part components on it (two part switches)<br>
using the latest release (20100314), when I annotate the page the<br>
annotation changes the component units which breaks the schematic, so<br>
I&#39;ll have to go through it by hand and annotate it manually.<br>
I&#39;m sure annotation should not affect the units of multiple unit<br>
components. If someone could confirm that this isn&#39;t intentional<br>
behaviour I&#39;ll look at fixing it.<br>
Eeschema does not re-annotate already annotated components, including
unit selection.<br>
If a component is not annotated, it is annotated, also including unit
selection in packages to optimize the number of packages.<br>
This is not a bug, but the normal behavior (and I must say: the
purpose) of an annotation.<br>
And many times, selection of the unit by hand is just wasting your time.<br=

Because in large hierarchical designs, it is *very* difficult to
optimize unit selection to minimize the number of packages.<br>
Annotation does this selection better than you can make it, specially
in large hierarchical designs.<br>
If you want to choose yourself the unit selection,<br>
1- annotate first, and select unit after (needed only when you do not
agree with automatic annotation selection).<br>
=A0=A0 (IMO, selecting units in a package by hand before knowing if they
are in the same package is a non sense).<br>
or<br>
2- When creating a component, lock the parts (usually, this flag is set
only for components that have non identical units, i.e. non swappable
units)<br>
=A0=A0=A0 So annotate will use the initial unit selection.<br>
rgin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); padding=
-left: 1ex;"><div bgcolor=3D"#ffffff" text=3D"#000000">
If units are swapped on an already annotated component ( and only in
this case ), this is a bug<br>
<pre cols=3D"130">--=20
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS

I need for these parts.=20
Thank-you for your thorough explanation Jean-Pierre, it is very much=20
appreciated. Sorry for the noise.<br>
Best Regards,<br>
Brian.=A0
=3D"avg_ls_inline_popup"></div><style type=3D"text/css">#avg_ls_inline_popu=
p { position:absolute; z-index:9999; padding: 0px 0px; margin-left: 0px=
; margin-top: 0px; width: 240px; overflow: hidden; word-wrap: break-wor=
d; color: black; font-size: 10px; text-align: left; line-height: 13px;}=
 --0016e659fc0c8da94304824f1b2f--