Re: Re: libstdc++

Terry Barnaby wrote:
As a matter of interest I presume kicad is thinking of making the binaries
available in simple tar form rather than packages as RPM or DEB packages ?
I wonder how many users install from this type of package these days. I certainly haven't for many years.

I wonder if it would be better to more closely work with the Debian/Ubuntu
and Fedora/Centos packagers and help formulate standard *.spec etc files
for kicad as part of the source tree ? This will make it easier for the
packagers to package new releases and put it into the distribution's testing
or main repositories.
I note that someone was on this forum (Alain Portal?) recently asking for
help to package for Fedora, Redhat EL5/Centos5 recently. They tend to
know the particular distributions better and probably can help provide
the basic testing for binary packages on the core used platforms out there.

For the less used/maintained Linux distributions maybe kicad could produce
and distribute a RPM and DEB package source package that can
then be easily built by users (as well as the source in tar form) ? Also
it would be possible to produce a generic binary RPM and DEB with
statically linked libraries etc if needed.

Terry

Terry,

If you would like to advance this from being a "good idea" to "actually useful", feel free to gather up the spec files and offer them as a patch.

Good ideas usually simply disolve into a "wishlist graveyard" if nobody does anything about them.

Thanks,

Dick