Re: New file formats

Opendous Support wrote:
all are welcome to improve the overall experience anyway they can

  Here is what I was thinking would have helped me.  Place a "Getting
Started" link on the front page (https://launchpad.net/kicad) which
links to a FAQ page.  If the FAQ front page
(https://answers.launchpad.net/kicad/+faqs) can be edited that would
be even better.  Consider the following format:

[Getting Started]

KiCAD in Launchpad is the main resource for KiCAD developers.  For
help with _using_ KiCAD please refer to the User Group:
http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

How Can I Help
````````````````
Do you want to help with the implementation of a feature?
Visit [https://blueprints.launchpad.net/kicad Blueprints] for current
works-in-progress

Do you want to add a feature?
1) Grab the latest source branch:
   $ cd <to a place just above where I wanted the working copy>
   $ bzr branch lp:kicad  kicad.bzr
2) Code your feature
3) Add your branch via https://code.launchpad.net/kicad/+addbranch
4) Inform fellow developers of your work via:
https://answers.launchpad.net/kicad/+addquestion

Do you have KiCAD schematic symbols or layout footprints you would
like to contribute?
Join the KiCAD Library launchpad team:
https://launchpad.net/~kicad-lib-committers
Then [http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.dev/en/mini-tutorial/index.html#publishing-your-branch-with-launchpad
 use launchpad to add your] libraries to
https://code.launchpad.net/kicad-newlib

Do you want to help with translating KiCAD?
NOT YET READY! Visit https://translations.launchpad.net/kicad

Quick Links
```````````
Bazaar VCS Help:
http://doc.bazaar.canonical.com/bzr.dev/en/mini-tutorial/index.html
Download Releases: http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
FAQ/Answers: http://answers.launchpad.net/kicad
Main Author's Site: http://www.lis.inpg.fr/realise_au_lis/kicad/

Matt,

Looks very good to me, except:

1) Re: patches. preferences for somebody just driving by: send to mailing list. for C++ somebody who lives here: ask for entry into kicad-testing-committers. For someone who lives here and is making major exploratory surgery e.g. looking/wanting to do a kidney transplant: create your own branch.

2) Please reference the FAQ I posted for footprints with a hyper link.

3) needs to include a link to the mailing list posting I made about the various resources and teams, I think. Maybe an http link to the mailing list page.

Otherwise, looks very good. Do you have the ability to get this in the home page, if not do you want that ability?

Dick