Re: Failed installation

Dick Hollenbeck a écrit :

Alain Portal wrote:
Hi,

My kicad installation failed because INSTALL.txt was remove from repository and not fron the cmake files list.

Here is the patch to fix.

Regards,
Alain

Jean-Pierre,

1) How did this happen that file /INSTALL.txt is not in stable but is in testing?

Sorry.
This was a too zealous cleanup.
removing notes_about_pcbnew_new_file_format.odt file in the stable version is enough.
I commited the fix.

My original plan was that stable was simply going to be a periodic snapshot of testing. With that strategy it would never be possible for stable to be ahead of testing. Periodic merges would be done from testing into stable.

Therefore I am confused as to how a file could be deleted from stable and not from testing.

This sounds good.
But bug fixes could create (temporary) some differences between branches between 2 merges. This is because some bugs must be immediately fixed, but testing branch can have features that cannot be immediately merged in the stable branch. This is currently the case: stable is basically the same as testing but without the VRML export in Pcbnew.
(Currently the VRML export needs more tests and refinements).
This is a minor difference.

2) Also, I think it is harmful to have the internat directory tree present in stable. It is now in the docs, repo. Any objections if I delete it from stable?

Dick
Currently, the internat directory in stable branch is the same as in docs repo. It can be deleted in the stable tree (in fact I did not noticed it was still in the stable branch until now).

My opinion is this internat directory tree could be *temporary* added in the stable branch, if the stable and the testing branches are too different, but only on demand.

Therefore, if there is only one internat directory tree and 2 code branches (testing and stable), translators must know what branch is the reference for translations.
This is for me the testing branch.

JP Charras.