Re: Default Field names patch

On 6/13/2010 4:24 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 06/10/2010 04:35 AM, Brian Sidebotham wrote:
>>> Thanks for handling this.  I probably wouldn't be able to get to it for
>>> at least another two weeks.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>>
>> Echo that, thanks for dealing with this patch Dick. If the GUI change
>> adds too much work, feel free to push this back to me to change, as
>> the configuration loading and saving will have to change too (as they
>> use for( size_t i=0; i<DEFAULT_NUMBER_OF_FIELDS; i++) loops).
>>
>> I have some free time at the weekend where I could sort it out if needed.
>>
>> Also just to add, I've been getting on with bazaar version control
>> really well, it proved very handy with this patch as I was easily able
>> to create a quick branch and then occasionally merge with the testing
>> branch head to keep it relevant.
>>
>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Brian.
>>

> Brian and Wayne,
>
> I am very deep into it now.  Will work full time until it is done.  I
> recognize that the concepts are important, and the intent of the patch
> is important and useful.
>
> I am heading down this road, clarifying and extending some of the
> original concepts as I go:
>

> 1) Fieldnames are to be considered either Default or Wanted.  We don't
> have that distinction even with the [original] patch.  I define a Wanted
> fieldname as one that you want for every symbol, that is not a default
> fieldname.  A default fieldname is one that Kicad supplies after a
> pristine install of Kicad (you have not specified any Wanted
> fieldnames).  A Wanted fieldname must always be shown when editing
> symbol properties, regardless of whether you received symbols from
> another Kicad user that had all the optional fieldnames filled with some
> of his own Wanted fieldnames.  Your Wanted fieldnames do not trump his,
> they simply *must be* added to the end.  (Your "wants" should be
> granted.  But please limit the context of the previous sentence.)   I
> don't believe the [original] patch can handle this.

Dick,

I think the original intent of this patch (please correct me if I'm
wrong Brian) was to define a set of user preferred field names to apply
to the free component fields when creating a new project.  This way you
always have the same set of user defined field names without having to
manually edit every component to add these field names.  Your idea of
adding these fields to the end of any other user defined fields in an
existing project makes more sense as it works in both use cases.

> 2) Wanted Fieldnames are to be recorded in a way so that they can be
> referenced when editing symbols, or instantiating symbols, across all
> projects as provided for by patch (not project or schematic specific,
> but rather user specific).  However they should also bring with them the
> *initial visibility* choice.  Often Wanted fieldnames like "Vendor",
> "Manufacturer", "Cost" or "Installed" (e.g. value=DNS) are not to be
> visible.  Yes you can override the default on any instantation of a
> symbol.  But we can save users another mouse click times the number of
> invisible fields, times the number of instantiated symbols by holding
> this attribute with the config file saved Wanted Fieldnames.
>

> In summary:
>

> 1)  Default != Wanted.

The term default is a bit confusing.  Typically, library components only
define the reference and value field.  The only other field names that
are fixed are the footprint and documentation fields.  The rest of the
fields can be named anything.  Maybe user defined field names would be a
better name for this patch.

Wayne