Re: Feature Request: CvPCB search function

On Sun, 1 Aug 2010, Alex G wrote:

What I believe should also be done with the Kicad libs is a major
cleanup. There are a lot of symbols that use weird naming conventions.

This work is waiting for some infrastuctural changes in KiCad suite regarding file formats. The functionality to separate schematic symbol, logical to physical pin mapping and physical component footprit (module) is not yet there. The subject was discuussed very throughly on the list during past two years, but its difficult to find now as the search is broken... Mail-archive.com archives only mails after LP move, so all the olde stuff has to be searched elsewhere. Try this thread for starters:

https://lists.launchpad.net/kicad-developers/msg03252.html

you end up needing a plethora of redundant footprints. It would be much
more logical to name the pins 1,2,3, and let the footprints take care of
which are which.

The link above will explain some solutions. The point is thet there is just _one_ standard footprint/3D-library with standard pin numbering. Special components exluded. The best I know is located here:

http://www.uni-c.dtu.dk/~univind/kicad/

This library is going to get integrated to KiCad some day. Also the scripted approach for footprints is very recommendable.

Oh, and let's not forget the plethora of "missing" footprints from the
default libs.

I'm actually willing to dedicate some free time to drawing those if
someone can integrate them with the default libs.

Some ideas and tools for schematic symbols: http://users.tkk.fi/~vsolonen/kicad/ For footprints Oyvind's approach seems the best, so please study it somewhat before sorting to manual drawing. For public development with vcs https://code.launchpad.net/kicad-newlib

I'm the library maintainer, even though there is almost nothing done yet. It's somewhat chicken and egg problem, like in many other open source projects. Welcome on board, but we need to pull new thread for library work.

-Vesa