Re: A few extra component footprins

> Yes, although I would place the size first, I think:
> TDFN8-3X3-M065, as the pitch is given (not always,
> but mainly) by package size and pin count.

Agreed. I only suggested the size after the pitch,, so that it would
look nice in a list

DFN8-M065
TDFN8-M065-3X3

versus

DFN8-M065
TDFN8-3X3-M065

Not much of an issue.

> They do have a package, igesgump, that can be downloaded,
> and it contains an IGES file peeker and a viewer (2D only),
> but it was last changed in 2004, and they want USD5000 (!)
> for the source code, so nothing interesting there ...

One of the torro-fecal things in life. I assumed that they must have the
*cough* Lite *cough* version

> I'll have a go at deciphering the IGES format - if we can
> extract as a minimum a point cloud from IGES, we can use the
> coords to get the correct dimensions of a package, including
> details like mounting/guide pins, locking tabs and other such
> stuff that's usually not specified in detail in the datasheets.

So then we could simply use the IGES files provided by molex instead of
creating .dim files. I like where this is going. The yellow circles at
the bottom represent the necessary holes in the footprint. I'll have a
try at identifying those bits (proably by trial and error with Inventor).

>> I thought that converting some faces from an *existing* model would be
>> the easiest route. If we end up generating the models from Perl, we
>> could include the metal piece in the middle of the hole, which, for some
>> reasom, Molex seems to have overlooked.
>>
>> I say let's keep the focus on generating the footprints, those are the
>> heart of the matter. The 3D packages can be added after the footprints
>> are done. That is of course, if you have no preference on getting both
>> ready at the same time :).
>>
>> Alex
>
> Having looked a bit more at the IGES files, I think the DIY approach is
> the easiest, at least unless we can get hold of the full IGES specs :-(
>
> STEP is also a no-go - it's an ISO standard, and thus not free.
> Even if we _did_ manage to write a STEP to VRML converter, we
> probably couldn't release the source because of license issues :-(

Just when I was begining to think software patents can never possibly
affect me. If we somehow did manage to write a Molex3DtoVRML, it
wouldn't technically be a STEP to VRML converter; still troublesome, and
then STEP is binary (I think).

> The igespeek program (igesgump package from wiz-worx) lists these
> entities in the IGES file for the two-pin, right angle Molex Microfit:
>
> count   type   description
>   30  100:0000 Circular Arc
>    5  102:0000 Composite Curve
>  373  110:0000 Line
>    9  120:0000 Surface of Revolution
>   30  124:0000 Transformation Matrix:Right-handed (default)
>  130  128:0000 Rational B-Spline Surface - <computationally derived>
>    1  186:0000 Manifold Solid B-Rep Object
>    3  314:0000 Color Definition
>    2  402:0007 Associativity Instance:Unordered Group Without Back Pointers
>    4  406:0015 Property:Name
>    1  502:0001 Vertex:MSBO Vertex List
>    1  504:0001 Edge:MSBO Edge List
>  144  508:0001 Loop:MSBO Loop
>  139  510:0001 Face:MSBO Face
>    1  514:0001 Shell:MSBO Shell - Closed
>
> So, I'm pretty sure, that the missing package bits you (don't)
> see are simply stuff that freecad can't do, and thus ignores ...

BTW, what do you run freecad on? Did you compile it, or got a built
pakage? It won't compile on my Fedora machine, so I have to use a "that
other OS" binary in a VM.

> Colors in IGES are not RGB values, only indices - the standard colors are:
>   0 = black
>   1 = black
>   2 = red
>   3 = green
>   4 = blue
>   5 = yellow
>   6 = magenta
>   7 = cyan
>   8 = white
> In addition, there's a type 314 (Color
> Definition), for redefinition of a color.

You are way ahead of me at understanding IGES.

Alex