Re: Potential issues with oaa_ lib

>> Which exact standard are you referring to?
>
> IPC-7351A - Generic Requirements fo Surface Mount Design and Land
> Pattern Standard

Thanks! I'll see if my friend google can find it for me :).

>> Do you think you could  write a small summarry or wiki regarding these
>> 12 pages?
>
> Mostly what I said before... but pages 12 to 16 are table with the
> 'magic numbers' to be used as a target toe/heel/side/courtyard size.
>
> I found that there's a new IPC-7351B release, maybe that's why the new
> calculator isn't free anymore.
>
> The IMHO difficult thing is implementing correctly the tolerance
> computation.
>
> The whole algorithm summarized is: decide the pad size and position so
> whatever the component size, placement and pcb size is (statistically
> into the declared tolerances) there is at least so-much copper between
> the pin and the board to have the correct solder fillets. Where
> 'correct' is dictated by the above mentioned tables.
>
> So you compute the 'maximum material condition' of the package (more or
> less using a RMS mean of the tolerances) to have the envelope of the
> package (i.e. all the space it *could* cover), then you enlarge these
> 'maxi pins' to have the required solder fillets.
>
> For example (and I'm using quoting privileges :P), if you have
> a gull-wing lead with pitch less than equal of 0,625 mm, using the
> nominal size (i.e. Density Level B - Median) you should make lands so
> that you have 0,35mm of toe, 0,35mm of heel, -0,2mm of side (yes, the
> pad is smaller than the maximum material condition of the pin); the
> whole module should have 0,25 mm in excess of courtyard (to support
> reworking and inspection, also as a bounding box for the autoplacer).
>
> These info are contained in 19 table (for different components) for each
> of the 3 level of density.
>
> After that you must check for copper clearance: for example a typical
> TSSOP need a 6-7 mil clearance for the 'optimal' pads... if you need to
> use an 8 mil process you need to trim the pads: you have less than the
> statistically needed copper but yield should be good anyway. In fact, if
> you use Density Level A (Maximum) you are *required* to do manufacturing
> tests to check the yield is effective (this stuff is a nightmare for
> Q.A. engineers :D).
>
> After you have the required clearance you just round everything to the
> nearest 0,05 mm (the easiest part :D).

Not yet at headache level, but man, can they complicate things beyond
all recognition.

>> computer, and I can email it to anyone interested.
>> (I'm curious just how many people will try to attack my computer now).
>
> Done that, have fun

Thanks. I've changed it so that only root has write permissions to the
file. Anyone who wants to grab it, feel free (though keep in mind it's
only an 8Mbps connection.

Alex