Re: Coding Style Guide

>> Thanks! One particular item of interest to me is that I wasn't able
>> gauge is the use of "this->" to explicitly state that the variable is a
>> member of the object. Is this acceptable?
>>

> No.  This is not really C++.  What you talk about is often done in Java,
> but I don't like that either, and I don't personally do that.  This was
> another reason for using the 'a' prefix in front of argument names, so
> that you can be sure you will never collide between a member variable
> name and an argument.

That seems to be the consensus. And given the naming convention, I must
agree. This should be added to the coding guidelines.

>> P.S. Do you have any preference as to which IDE you use for kicad? I
>> know it has nothing to do with coding guidelines, but I am looking for
>> suggestions, as my favorite until recent IDE (NetBeans) is incapable of
>> handling large projects.
>>

> I use JEdit to edit, and a terminal window to compile, on Ubuntu, with
> dual monitors.  So I can see the compiler and the editor each in their
> own window, on their own screen.  To capture a lot of errors, I will
> occasionally run the build tool like this:
>
> $ make 2>&1 | less
>
> which will capture the stderr output to into the less scrolling tool.
> Otherwise when I am programming perfectly or expecting few errors, its
> simply:
>
> $ make
>
> JEdit can also be taught to run the compiler, but then it puts the
> output into a smaller window and I might be using less than a full
> screen for viewing.  I like seeing as much as I can.

22" and 19" parallel user here, so I know what you mean. That's what I'm
finding myself doing more and more often. And it's not an urge to try
something new; it's simply how things end up on my desktop after running
cmake, and I just have an instinct to do things the way you described. I
might actuallly give JEdit a try. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

Alex