Re: Boost include files.

Le 13/09/2010 16:47, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :

Is there a set criteria for the Boost include files that are part of Kicad?
The reason I ask is I wanted to use boost::shared_ptr to solve an issue I was
having while working on the new component library code an found that there are
some missing header files that prevent using boost::shared_ptr.  This was
easily solved by adding the missing files to the Kicad source.  I had just
assumed (mistake on my part) that we were using the full Boost header install.
  Obviously that is not the case.  I just wanted to make sure there is no
technical (or philosophical) reason not to include the additional headers
required to use boost::shared_ptr before I make any commits.  Maybe we should
just include all of the Boost headers rather than a subset even though it would
add quite a bit of code to the Kicad source.  Anyone else have any thoughts on
this?

Wayne

I do not know the advantage of boost::shared_ptr, so I am talking just about Boost include files in Kicad.
Only needed files are included in Kicad, because the full Boost package (only the .hpp files) is 68 Mbyte large.
Currently in Kicad in 19 Mb large.
Including the full Boost header could increase significantly time to commit/update Kicad changes,
download the full sources, or create a new branch for testing purpose,
and (under Windows only), the access time to kicad directory when opening them with Explorer.
Spare time is the reason why only a minimal subset is in Kicad.

I saw some other open source project which do the same thing as Kicad (include only the needed subset of boost files).

Of course, when other files are needed, they can (and must) be added.
Recently, I added the boost polygon library
( Unfortunately, due to some bugs in this library, currently I cannot use it like I want )

--
Jean-Pierre CHARRAS