Re: Boost include files.

On 9/13/2010 4:05 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 09/13/2010 02:16 PM, jean-pierre charras wrote:
>> Le 13/09/2010 16:47, Wayne Stambaugh a écrit :
>>
>>> Is there a set criteria for the Boost include files that are part of Kicad?
>>>
>> I do not know the advantage of boost::shared_ptr, so I am talking just about Boost include files in Kicad.
>> Only needed files are included in Kicad, because the full Boost package (only the .hpp files) is 68 Mbyte large.
>> Currently in Kicad in 19 Mb large.
>> Including the full Boost header could increase significantly time to commit/update Kicad changes,
>> download the full sources, or create a new branch for testing purpose,
>> and (under Windows only), the access time to kicad directory when opening them with Explorer.
>> Spare time is the reason why only a minimal subset is in Kicad.
>>
>> I saw some other open source project which do the same thing as Kicad (include only the needed subset of boost files).
>>
>> Of course, when other files are needed, they can (and must) be added.
>> Recently, I added the boost polygon library
>> ( Unfortunately, due to some bugs in this library, currently I cannot use it like I want )
>>

> Is there a document somewhere to remind us at what boost version our
> included subset is at?
>
> Like a readme file or something.

The only thing I see is boost/boost_version.txt.  JP must have added this file
as it is not part of the standard Boost source.  Oddly enough boost/version.hpp
is not included.  We might want to include this as well.  I see a potential
problem with cherry picking only the required header files.  If we are not
careful, we could inadvertently mix versions of header files.