Re: library structure

On 09/23/2010 03:12 AM, Martijn Kuipers wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2010, at 1:09 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>
>> symbol - The graphical and/or electrical representation of a component.
>> Think everything between DRAW/ENDDRAW in the current file format.
>>
>> field - The default and user defined text values that describe a
>> component such as value, reference designator, footprint, etc.
>>
>> component - The combination of default and user defined fields and a
>> symbol that get imported into a schematic.
>>
>> library - One or more components along with some meta-data to describe
>> the library.
>>

> When drawing a schematic everything is easy when using components, especially using user-defined libraries. Does this mean that Kicad will ship with a large set of (component-) libraries? Or, will every user need to start creating his own, from symbols (is there a symbol-library foreseen?)?

An important eeschema use case is a "project specific library", where
you would *copy* a non-part-specific symbol into your own project
specific library, and assign a value to it at that time, along with
datasheet, vendor, footprint, etc.   This could be done for each unique
part on a board.  And no matter how much we try and avoid having to do
this, I suspect it will still need to be done.  Therefore I consider
this something important to be considering when we discuss changes in
the UI and file formats.

Dick