Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On 10/09/2010 12:58 AM, dave m wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I recently started using KiCad for a project I'm working on at home.
> Overall I'm quite impressed with the current status of the software,
> and as far as I know it's the best open-source EDA package available.
> I tried gEDA briefly and found it limited and not very intuitive.

Yes, even though its written in C?

> I've been using Altium Designer at work for a few years now so I've
> come to appreciate it's MANY features.  I'm certainly biased towards
> their way of doing things.
>
> It's unlikely that an open source project will be able to compete with
> commercial software,  but I think KiCad has a lot of potential even
> though it has a lot of room for improvement.
>
> I'm not much of a developer-- I'm okay with C but complex C++ stuff is
> beyond me.  I doubt I can contribute any patches but I'd really like
> to help improve KiCad.
>
> How else can I help?  You might have guessed that I have a lot of
> ideas about how the UI "should" work,  but if that's not up for debate
> then I don't want to spam the list.

We are essentially rewriting eeschema very soon.

Try and read the entire thread called "exploiting human readability",
and creating a UI document.  Since we are brainstorming, there are no
barriers, and no commitments.

Focus on the UI, we have not even started thinking about that.

Dick