Re: Improving usability of KiCad

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

We are essentially rewriting eeschema very soon.

Any plans going metric on the way? I know it doesn't actuallu matter much, but "now or never (tm)". Brainstorming ahead, is the wxWidgets the right tool? I remember some previous brainstorming about Qt, even python was mentioned for the UI. My (very limited) experience has proven PyQt4 _very_ usable and also faster than any other common Python GUI toolkit. GUI layout tools are in my opinion way better and there is less breakage between platforms. On wx(GTK) the layout with labels and textboxes is never correct (just look at KiCad on wxGTK vs Windows), but on Qt it's completely non issue. Platform nativenes issue was solved some time ago, so Qt ought to be as native as wxWidgets. I know the great deal of investment for wxWidgets, but sometimes one has to leave old behind. Nokia pushing Qt seems to be a good thing as license was relaxed LGPL/GPL/commercial and development is ongoing. Qucs and FreeCAD would combine with KiCad more seamlessly...

Just to make it clear, I don't want to start any war about which tookit is the best or KDE/Gnome/OSX/Win/FLTK/E17... usability battle, just some thinking about which toolkit is the best for KiCad and sustainable and saving developer time. Especially the graphics, if the problem is already solved why it has to be solved again with minor differences? It seems that the world is full of unsolved problems, but those who can and will solve them are a scarce resource. Let's spend that recource meaningfully. I use Gnome on Ubuntu Linux, but vastly prefer Qt as a tool. Qt-clearlooks style.

-Vesa