Re: New part file format document.

On 12/20/2010 5:10 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> | Another idea to consider, along with others until a decision is made, is:
>> put a comment into the file to act as a 'hint' only.  The hint is only consulted when the part is
>> outside its container.  Some cases are if you have it on the clipboard or it is printed out on
>> paper, or it in an email message.  Actually with email it might have a filename as an attachment.
>> Ok, say you email it inline.
>>
>> The hint might look like this, and the hint can be ignored by any tool not interested:
>>
>> # partname: 7400
>> # other comments you might have put into the file.
>> :
>> (part [extends LPID]
>> :
>> )
>>
>> PART::Format() could output it up at the top as a comment, if requested.
>>

>> Regarding part "description", it seems like this is worthy of more discussion on its own at some
>> point.  A useful description block could be:
>>
>> 1) potentially more than one line.
>> 2) shown in a multi-line panel [maybe only] during picklist usage.
>>
>> I don't see it being like properties, all of which can go into the schematic view, but maybe I have
>> to just jam it into my head.
>>
>> Not urgent.  If I jam it now, something else will have to fall out to make room.

The part specification is not cast in stone so we should continue to
tweak it so it can support both a clean code design and be human
readable.  I don't think those two goal are mutually exclusive.  The
current specification look pretty good already.

>> Dick
>
> My current leanings are:
>
> 1) for (part NAME), leave it in the grammar, but change it to NAME_HINT in the documentation, and
> describe it as a hint only.
>

> 2) Maybe treat the comment text above the (part) element in the sweet string as the description text
> for eventual use in a picklist side-car panel.

Keep me posted and I will keep the specification up to date.

Wayne