Re: New schematic file format.

On 30 March 2011 00:15, Dick Hollenbeck <dick@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/29/2011 01:57 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>
>> 3) Eliminate layers since they are not really used in EESchema other than for
>> defining the display color of the object?  Adding wire and bus classes would
>> eliminate the need for layered line objects.
>>
>> 4) Provide support for schematic editor settings that can be restored between
>> schematic editing sessions?
>
> YES!  It would be cool to have basically *all* the settings in there.  I see
> value to even recording the current sheet in view, maybe even the mouse
> pointer setting, colors, what not, so that a user can pass a schematic file
> to a support person and actually convey what he/she is seeing and how it looks.

This makes version control for projects almost impossible. I agree
that you want those settings available, but in a separate file would
be much better for schematics under version control.

I'm not a fan of a million different files either, but a schematic
user options file would mean everyone working on a centralised project
can have their own local preferences without affecting the schematic
in the repository.

This way it works for version control, and in a support role someone
could forward you both the schematic and schematic user option files.

Does this sound like a reasonable case?

Best Regards,

Brian.