Re: FindwxWidgets.cmake

On 5 April 2011 17:59, Wayne Stambaugh <stambaughw@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 4/5/2011 11:59 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>> On 04/05/2011 08:44 AM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>>> We currently use a custom(?) version of FindwxWidgets.cmake that was cherry
>>> picked from a more current version of CMake than we were using at the time.
>>> The problem is our version of FindwxWidgets is suffering from bit rot.  The
>>> version in CMake 2.8.4 ( and possibly earlier ) has some enhances that make it
>>> more usable when you have multiple versions wxWidgets installed on your system.
>>>  I would like to remove our local version of FindwxWidgets.cmake and use the
>>> one that ships with CMake.  Does anyone have any objections or reasons not to
>>> do this?
>>

>> No objections from me on the concept.   But realize that the topmost
>> CMakeLists.txt in our cmake stack only requires 2.6.4 currently.  So nobody
>> is forced into the new FindwxWidgets.cmake support, as perhaps you are
>> assuming they should be or will be.
>
> CMake 2.8 was release in November of 2009.  Maybe it's time to bump that up to
> 2.8.0?  I think most distros (even Debian) are up to the 2.8 version of CMake.
>  I guess the other thing I could do is merge the changes from the latest
> version into our local version if it can merged cleanly.
>

>> For MS Windows in particular (cross building from Linux or not, both), and
>> other platforms too, I still say there is tremendous value in us providing
>> cmake "external project" support to build wxWidgets and anything else that
>> needs to be built.  This is a separate subject.  But I've given it some
>> thought on how to best do it so we do not munge our current Kicad build
>> cmake stack, which would remain as is.  Basically it would entail putting an
>> *optional* CMakeList.txt wrapper around everything, platform dependent, and
>> treating Kicad itself as an external project from there along with all the
>> other external projects.
>
> I think this is a good idea.  When (if?) I get some time, I will play around
> with it but it's off my radar for right now.
>
> Wayne

I started looking into this, and came to the same conclusion - that it
would be best to have a kicad builder cmake project which would
download wxWidgets, configure + build, and then download the kicad
source, configure and build.

On windows this makes a lot of sense. However, when you scratch the
surface, you see the windows weaknesses. For example, there is no way
to unzip something via the command line on a standard windows install.

I took some time out from looking at it because I've been building my
new PC, so now I'm on a Core I7 2600k with 8Gb of RAM and a PCI-E SSD
hard disk I'm likely to become a lot more productive!

This is definitely on my radar, and I'll be looking into it again this week.

Best Regards,

Brian.