Re: Converting KiCAD to metric units: The approach

On 06/24/2011 10:01 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
On 06/23/2011 12:38 PM, Karl Schmidt wrote:
On 06/23/2011 09:29 AM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:

Where?  What context are you talking about?  I think we need to store board and
footprint files in both imperial and metric both.
Not that this is in error - but you should explain the 'why' as I'm in doubt.

not both, but either or.  I still see footprints expressed in mils out on the
web in datasheets.

Yes - but inches features can be stored in metric ( * 254 ) and reconverted to display in inch with no error - no reason to 'Store' them as inch with only one exception I can think of: It would make it easier to edit mods that were edited and saved in kicad to later edit with a text editor - but at the cost of lots of added complexity ( you would have to track the unit of each feature). I can't think of any other situation where having kicad store in inch units makes sense. ( Someone could write a inch format export if there was a real need for it).

It seems to me that there will need to be a new Library definition extension so that both old an new
files can be READ in - I'm not seeing any reason to store in something other than metric?

I'm thinking there could an M at the end of lines containing dimensional data that indicates it is
in the new nm standard? Thus old files are still compatible.

I was thinking file specific units would be sufficient, I don't see a reason to
each pad separately.  Maybe there's a reason to mark each footprint separately.
But if we go too far down that road, the current file format is going to fall apart.

Good question - I can imaging where the pads were entered in inch, but drill holes or silk screen features are specified in metric. I think a line granularity of units would work and not break the current file format.

An example - there is a .025" feature - if it is stored as 635000 or 635000000 - the division to display in inch will always work with even results. If the mod is opened and some editing done to change some feature - kicad would need to track the unit of each feature to know which way to store it - why not just store it as metric once edited in kicad?

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Underlying most arguments against the free market
is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Freidman