Re: possible bug: EESCHEMA library path issue

On 8/19/2011 3:23 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> On 08/19/2011 01:27 PM, Wayne Stambaugh wrote:
>> On 8/19/2011 12:05 PM, Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
>>> Before filing a bug report, I thought I'd ask:
>>>
>>> Latest code, EESCHEMA library path issue, Ubuntu Linux.
>>>
>>> 1) Load any existing schematic into EESCHEMA through the normal method.
>>>
>>> 2) Menu File | New
>>>
>>> Immediately an error window shows up:
>>>
>>> Load Error!
>>>
>>> The following libraries could not be found:
>>>
>>>   * power
>>>   * device
>>>   * transistors
>>>   etc.
>>>
>>> Looking at the library path settings after this process (Preferences |
>>> Libraries), one sees that
>>> /usr/local/share/kicad/template is there,
>>>
>>> *but not /usr/local/share/kicad/library*
>>>
>>> which is the essence of the problem I think.
>>>
>>> Is this a bug on Linux?
>> Dick,
>>
>> If the EESchema executable you're running is located in /usr/local/bin or
>> /usr/local is in your PATH environment variable, /usr/local/share/kicad/library
>> should be in the list (assuming it exists) of default search paths.  If not,
>> then this is definitely a bug.  I've run into similar problems when running
>> EESchema from build folders depending on where I have my Kicad libraries
>> installed.  The best solution I've found is to set the KICAD environment
>> variable to point to the base path to my library files.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> Thanks Wayne.
>
> I found that when I run eeschema from the project manager the problem does not
> occur.
>
> Also, I found that setting KICAD environment variable to /usr/local/share/kicad
> allows me to run eeschema from the development tree.
>
> So your workaround was spot on.
>
> The question remaining is, is it a bug or not?

It appears to be a bug.  I just noticed that on Linux and Windows the first
default library path always gets clobbered when you do a File | New after
opening a valid schematic.  I get the same behavior if I launch EESchema from
Kicad or run it directly from the command line.  In your case, was
/usr/local/share/kicad/library the first path in the list before you created a
new schematic?  The only other explanation I can think of is that somehow the
user library path is getting set to the first default path which gets removed
from the list when you create a new schematic.