Re: Concerns about clearing disagreements before committing.

At Saturday 26 of November 2011 23:49:27 from Lorenzo Marcantonio:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 09:30:59PM +0400, Vladimir Uryvaev wrote:
> > May be I'm not human, but for me as being scientist and engineer it sound
> > weird to truncate significant digits.
> > 1, 1.0, 1.00 are different for me, as they carry different precision. So
> > I'm all for %*f and to keep all significant digits, whatever they are,
> > zeroes, or not.
>
> If we're talking about storage I'd says omitting zero is better. On the
> screen or on a report, you need to show the 'right' amount of zeroes.

In GUI we do not know what precision user mean (or we have to store it), so it
is no useful information.

In file precision mean storage precision and is known. Anyway, fixed format is
preferable in machine read data. Note, if you speak about human readability,
not storage efficiency, such precision would be precious information. If you're
about efficiency, you would prefer binary file or BASE64 at least.

Also as I noted above %g may switch to exponent format (AFAIR it is not
specified by standard -- when it happen), which could be undesirable.
--

--- KeyFP: DC07 D4C3 BB33 E596 CF5E  CEF9 D4E3 B618 65BA 2B61