Re: Concerns about clearing disagreements before committing.

On 11/26/2011 11:30 AM, Vladimir Uryvaev wrote:
May be I'm not human, but for me as being scientist and engineer it sound
weird to truncate significant digits.

Just be glad you don't deal with medical numbers (the number of digits on lab reports don't mean anything - and no errors are listed - what a racket).

1, 1.0, 1.00 are different for me, as they carry different precision. So I'm all
for %*f and to keep all significant digits, whatever they are, zeroes, or not.

I've seen this dealt with many ways - one way is to display 1.00+ ( a small subscript plus sign) to show it is rounded up.

One could code it up so a hover above the number or a click on the plus brings out the full precision. I think Dick is correct that 10 digits becomes visual noise that is distracting.

Karl Schmidt                                  EMail Karl@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Transtronics, Inc.                              WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street                             Ph (785) 841-3089
Lawrence, KS 66049                              FAX (785) 841-0434

Suits, fancy titles, and pajamas are all an incredible waste of time. --kps