Re: Concerns about clearing disagreements before committing.

At Monday 28 of November 2011 01:13:53 from Dick Hollenbeck:
> Good catch on the %g going to exponent format when fabs( double ) <= .0001
> !
>
> If using a number in the e notation below 0.0001 bothers you, I will
> revisit the strategy.
>
> I used this format %g format string with good luck in the specctra_export
> code, but it seems we were working with larger numbers there.
>
> I don't share your views on the human readability of data files.  I believe
> that one of KiCad's main value propositions is human readability of data
> files.  SWEET takes this to the extreme, and s-expressions are arguably
> even "self documenting".

Is it self-worth feature for you? If you insist on your view of schematic, i
will not hinder you, do anything you want. There's shouldn't be two kings in
one domain.

I wonder if anyone need this. If one really need to read and write sch files
format reckoning wouldn't be a problem, for another this does no odds.
Futhermore, reading kicad-users mailing list suggest me that this is more
likely a bug than feature, as many users try to edit them, get weird result,
ask mailing list and get answer that files couldn't be edited manually.
PCAD have ASCII file format, but just as an alternative to binary, used mainly
for version control and interchange, specctra files intended to be
writable/editable by the user, and that are substantiate decisions. Does human
readability of KiCAD files have its substantiation?

Anyway KiCAD popularity is not a matter of file readability, but lack of
competition from Free&OSS. :)

> So it is not clear to me that a function written by you for this purpose
> would serve previously stated goals.
>
> If you are insistent on no exponents in the number, I am insistent on the
> smallest files including trailing zero removal where we can.

Being self documenting and smallest size are contradict features, don't you
think? ;) Self documeting means adding redundant information, and shrinking
size meand removing it.

> fprintf( fp, "example coord: %3s %3s\n",
>     biuFmt( pad.x() ).c_str(), biuFmt( pad.y() ).c_str() );

Why don't you use iostreams for this?

--

--- KeyFP: DC07 D4C3 BB33 E596 CF5E  CEF9 D4E3 B618 65BA 2B61