Re: file format feedback

On 4/9/2012 5:43 PM, Miguel Angel Ajo Pelayo wrote:
> Nice Wayne,
>
>    Don't you think that also dumping the non-default layers would make
> sense?,
> just for sanity of the file format (making complete sense even without
> the version
> of kicad it belongs to).
>
> May be on future kicad version default layers and numbering could change?
>
> Or for other tools that try to import the files.

I agree.  JP suggested something very similar.  Here is what I am
proposing for layers:

(layers
  ("board_edge" edge)
  ("front_silk_screen" silkscreen)
  ("front_solder_mask" solder_mask)
  ("front" copper)
  ("inner1" copper)
  ("inner2" copper)
  ("back" copper)
  ("back_solder_mask" solder_mask)
  ("back_silk_screen" silkscreen)
  ("dimensions" graphical)
  ("notes" graphical)
)

Each layer has a name and a type.  All other objects on the board would
reference the layers by name instead of numbers.  This solves the
problem of expanding Pcbnew to support more layers in the future.  The
file reader can make sure the layer stack is valid at load time and you
can have as many or few layers as required instead of a fixed number of
layers.

Wayne