Re: Future of 3D models in KiCAD

----- Original Message -----

I have looked into IDF2,3,4 and PSI-5 thanks to input from people on the kicad-users list.  It will be relatively easy to implement IDF2 and 3 and even IDF4 is not so difficult. However, although quite a few MCAD packages support IDF3, IDF4 is not well supported - it has pretty much been replaced by PSI-5.  The specs for PSI-5 will essentially cost a few thousand $. Anyway, I think IDF3 is worth supporting, but it is an extremely limited spec; IDF4 is much more interesting, but as I said not widely supported in contemporary MCAD software.  PSI-5 should probably be supported some time in the future. At any rate, IDF support should be part of KiCAD rather than a separate tool as I was considering for the STEP support; IDF and STEP serve very different functions so it's not surprising that they should be 2 different projects. One more item for the wish list.

- Cirilo