Re: Rev 3597: Add zone duplication to pcbnew.

On Tue, Jun 05, 2012 at 10:01:52AM +0200, jean-pierre charras wrote:

> A multilayer zone is tricky:
> For instance, many time some layers needs cutout areas.
> How to handle cutout, or modifications (merging, priority level change) on only one layer on a multilayer zone?
> Having for instance a cutout on all layers is certainly unwanted.
>
> Merging zones with already existing zones on a given layer is also tricky.

Add to the list: thermals/antipads for internal layers are often
different from outer ones (and we don't have a 'formal' padstack
support), so even these parameters should be per layer... (when you're
at it, it is often useful to have thermals on THT pads and solid copper
for SMD ones, for obvious manufacturing reasons...)

I don't feel that a multilayer zone would be too useful (and I agree is
*very* tricky to implement correctly). It's actually pretty easy to
'trace' over another layer's zone when creating a new one!

I could suggest an UI modification in regard: when you're in 'add zone'
mode, clicking on/near an existing zone corner shouldn't put you in
'edit zone' mode for that zone (otherwise you can't 'trace' from the
first corner...)

--
Lorenzo Marcantonio
Logos Srl